KOTA BHARU, March 28: Media Prima chief executive officer Farid Ridzuan has thanked Kelantan Menteri Besar Tuan Guru Nik Abdul Aziz Nik Mat for his cooperation during the private station's just concluded carnival and concert 'Jom Heboh" in Kota Bharu.
“I thank Tuan Guru Datuk Nik Abdul Aziz and all staff of the state government who have been very courteous and cooperative to us in making our debut show in Kelantan a success," he said, adding that the fair would be an annual event if the state government gives its approval again in future.
Farid said he had no problem adhering to the State Entertainment Enactment and would adapt the format used in Kelantan during its next show in Johor as part of the carnival's nationwide tour this year.
"I can tell that the audience were ecstatic to be at the concert although they were segregated into three groups and separated by fence," he said at the closure of the two-day event at the Sultan Muhammad IV stadium here Saturday.
Visitors at the Kelantan Jom Heboh event this time, the first in the PAS-ruled state, were segregated into three groups - males, females and those who came with families.
Farid said traders at the event had reported brisk business with some saying that their goods had been sold out before the event ended.
Farid also apologised to the state government for any weaknesses on the part of the organisers.
Meanwhile, State Local Government, Tourism and Culture Committee chairman Takiyuddin Hassan said the organisers had generally fulfilled all requirements drawn up by the state government, although there had been isolated cases of rules not being adhered to.
“It will be discussed with the organisers if they plan to have a similar event next year," he said.
He added that the state government would only approve entertainment shows once it had taken into account the pros and cons of such events.
In the past, the Jom Heboh event had attracted criticisms from individuals and groups worried about social ills among Muslims, saying its entertainment contents, pop culture and free mixing between sexes only exarcebated the moral crisis among Malay youths.
In 2007, Perak mufti Harussani Zakaria declared that the carnival, which was formerly known as "Sure Heboh", as haram, saying such entertainment programmes did not benefit Muslims. Following the criticisms, organisers had made several modifications by giving more emphasis on the trade and business aspects of the event.